Question 1. Who are you?
With over 30 years of experience supporting individuals of all ages, my work has always been one of helping each client in reaching their goals. For a long time I worked in nursing, specializing in women’s health and newborn care. I ran a therapeutic children’s home until adopting my son who was in my home and closed to allow him my undivided attention so he could heal. I became a RPC supporting families and developed programs supporting children, teens and then adults who were dealing with mental health, addictions and trauma.
My passion is to support clients in achieving their goals and transforming into their best selves. I specialize in family centred TBRI and trauma informed care, supporting families with wellness coaching and navigating through behavioural difficulties and mental health challenges of children and youth.
I’ve also had great success in supporting neurodivergent kids to become their best selves. It is my joy to be there for such families as well as families who have survived trauma and loss.
Recently, my son and I spent Thanksgiving at Esparenza along with many families who were welcomed by the family organizing the day on their property. The feeling I left with was one of deep admiration and a feeling of deep love and support to all, including my son and I who were new to the area but welcomed as family. During the ceremonies all who were struggling through changes were supported and encouraged, they were congratulated on their daily success and each one acknowledged for their efforts. Everyone prepared meals together and ate together as family . This left me with a huge respect for indigenous culture and tradition and reminded me of the programs I developed and ran in the past. The key to supporting people is to use TBRI and trauma informed care, include them in daily rituals, show support, and a hug goes a long way.
I developed and ran a vocational rehab program which supported people dealing with mental health and addictions. Several of the people who went through my program still contact me and are doing well, they say it was life changing for them. I simply built trust and treated them like I would a brother or sister who needed support.
I am very interested in offering supportive programs to our community, I feel it is much needed here.
Question 2. 60% of the Tahsis population is over age 55. How should this demographic affect how the village is run?
Having a population in our Village with 60% being over age 55 yrs. Provides our community with a wealth of knowledge that can and should be shared and valued. It is important to have input from all ages in our community, through open meetings where the public is invited, as well as seeking everyone's opinion and ideas, wants, needs, values regarding our community. This can be through informal gatherings, community activities, as well as going to each resident and taking the time to listen to them. Valuing each person's input regardless of class, everyone valued on an equal plane.
This builds a strong community.
Question 3. What can be done to enforce the village bylaws?
Having a community watch group and even a community support group can alleviate many would be bylaw issues. A supportive approach to offer help to a community member, rather than immediately choosing bylaw enforcement or a punitive approach. This leaves less bylaw enforcement needed in the community. There are times when bylaw enforcement is the only way to solve a bylaw issue, and if we had a bylaw officer even part time in Tahsis as well as an RCMP at least part time on site many issues could be resolved quickly.
Question 4. How can you improve communication between the council and public?
Community members are welcome to attend open meetings. For many, this is difficult to attend regularly for several reasons. By going out regularly to each resident and listening to their views, ideas, wants and needs- people will feel heard and this builds stronger community. Respecting everyone's voice will also build a stronger community.
As mayor and as a counselor, going out to hear each community member is important. This can be done by door to door visits in order to be inclusive of all, it can be done through community gatherings as well.
I look forward to meeting people and listening to the ideas and values of all ages of residents, very important input from all!
Jaime Halan-Harris

No comments:
Post a Comment