I’ve asked each candidate for mayor and council a set of questions so voters can know them better. Their answers will be posted here as they come in.
1. Who are you?
Ryan Moore
I moved to Tahsis 5 years ago. I joined the TVFD, and around the time I injured my back I ran for council during the by-election.
I've acted as both VP and currently Pres of the CMESS PAC, And along with 2 other people created NNS NNS 3 years ago to fill the void left when knights of Columbus canceled service to town. This Christmas will be the 3rd year of our program
Most recently I have purchased the garage at the edge of town, and while we are renovating our home we are also getting the garage ready to be an operational automotive shop. My background is self employed, as a mechanic and fabricator and I think this is a needed service in town.
I have put down roots here, and am wanted to continue my role as council because I am well invested in the Villages future.
2. 60% of the Tahsis population is over age 55. How should this demographic affect how the village is run?
Our aging population creates several issues.
Fixed incomes make it difficult to handle the property tax increases that are required to even be able to attempt to keep up with failing infrastructure let alone start to get ahead of it. It's very unfortunate that we are in the position we are in, and it is likely going to hurt more before it gets better. An affordable village that doesn't have the supports to make it comfortable, isn't any more appropriate than an expensive village. And we are starting to cross over into an expensive village without supports.
Local services, wether it is for basic necessities or physical and mental health support I truly believe are more important to an aging demographic, and our rec center for example becomes less of a want, and more of a need.
And a sad reality of a high median age is that for the future of the village to look brighter, we have to attract Industry of some kind, jobs, and recreation for you get families. I know this may not sound like a direct answer, but we can't look at one seriously, without looking at the other.
3. What can be done to enforce the village bylaws?
Complaint based systems generally do more harm through neighbor rivalries than good. A local even part time bylaw officer would cost the village more, but be more effective, than a bylaw officer that in the past the position has been held by someone who had never even stepped foot in Tahsis, or sometimes only attends a couple times a year.
But even a part time position could mean a 2-3% increase in taxes quite easily, and the question then becomes, is it worth it.
4. How can you improve communication between the council and public?
This is a 2 way street. I can not speak for council as a whole on this, but I have always been willing to speak or just listen to anyone who was actually interested in taking the time. I have made an effort in the past to post publicly online, and mention to people I see about important meetings, grant discussions, budget meetings, the bigger decisions I truly believe people would want to be, and should be involved in, but people seem uninterested, mostly speaking of the lack of attendance to be able to voice their opinions. While I realize we are elected to represent everyone, my voice is still just one voice, and there is a power in numbers attending and showing support or disproval. My opinion has definitely been swayed in the past after speaking to residents. And it will continue to be.
I hope the next 4 years are different and there is more interaction, and will continue to make an effort, but encourage anyone who wants to speak, to reach out. We are sitting in seats representing our community. And personally I appreciate the feedback, the discussion, and I look forward to continuing to speak to anyone who is willing.
It's ok to be upset about things that happen at council. It's even expected. Just try to be respectful is all I've asked.

No comments:
Post a Comment